MyMemories Forum

Author   Comment  
Jen Wright Designs

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #1 

[BeachBungalow_jenwrightdesigns_banner] 
Welcome to the "About Me" Bingo Challenge - Step-by-Step lessons on 
How to Make a Layout

You will want to begin with downloading the template that works for you.

Each week there will be a new step. Please feel free to post your "STEPS PROCESS" in the other About me thread so we can give you some love. Please leave this area just for reading the lessons.

We will be making a layout similar to mine but you get to chose all your own elements.
Feel free to do yours EXACTLY like mine as a way to learn!!
[AboutMe-Layout1] 

Are you ready to get started???

Jen Wright Designs

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #2 
(WEEK 1)

LESSON #1

Choosing your photos & papers!

The first thing you want to do is choose your kit and photo(s) you will be using.

This really helps by looking at the colors in your photo.
You want your photo to stand out, so choose a kit with a few that coordinate with photo and others that can contrast in a complimentary way.

When working on a layout, i like to choose my photos and make a temporary folder and put them in there so I can grab them quickly.

1.  Choose Your Kit.
2.  Choose Your Photos. (Place in temp folder)
3.  Choose two papers.

* A great rule of thumb is...One Solid and One Print if you want to start off.
If you are more comfortable, then you can try two patterns and choose a large and small pattern and try to make one neutral tones and the other a color or complimentary color that pulls from the main paper.

Once you have that your papers chosen, let's place the main one in the background. 

Now let's add our second paper on top. This one needs to be smaller by 1/2 inch (.50 inch) all around so that's 11.50 x 11.50 inches.

You can center this paper or tilt it like I did below.

To make it realistic looking, you will be learning to work with drop shadows.
For layered paper, I like to set my drop shadow at 45 degrees-Linear burn.

[Bingo_AboutMe_Ls1-e1402621263498] 

Jen Wright Designs

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #3 
(Week #2)
LESSON #2

Setting Your Photos & Squares.

In this lesson, you will want to have your squares aligned on the page to begin adding to them.

In the center photo, it must be a photo of yourself.

The other 8 squares can be anything you want to describe yourself...photos with text, text/journaling, elements/journaling, etc.

So lets start by placing your photo in the middle.

I like to place all the squares on the page so as I add elements, I can see what will compliment one another.

I'd like you to decorate that middle square of your photo and leave the rest blank. this will set the tone of our layout.

I chose to add a border around all my squares to add a pop of color that connects all the squares to one another no matter what is in them. 

Now let's add our drop shadow.. always remember to add drop shadows.
I'm using 120 degrees-linear burn.
* you can use 45 degrees if you'd like to stay the same, I always like to make things more interesting for the eye.

Now when you decorate your middle, I chose a frame to put over my photo & washi tape. 
[Bingo_AboutMe_Ls2] 

The next lesson will be posted on Friday, June 12th.

Jen Wright Designs

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #4 
(Week #3)

LESSON #3

Text/Journaling & WordArt

In this lesson, you will want to have your squares aligned on the page to begin adding to them as instructed in the first two lessons.

In the center photo, it must be a photo of yourself.

The other 8 squares can be anything you want to describe yourself...photos with text, text/journaling, elements/journaling, etc.

This week we need to start adding our journaling content in each square.

1. Just type with regular font in each square what you'd like to be there that is something about you.
*Maybe make a list of 8 things about you and then just choose which goes where.

2. After you have typed the 8 about you content in each square. Now is the fun part...

We are going to try to make each square different with our text/journaling by using different fonts, colors & wordart.  have fun with this.  

*You don't want to worry at this point about whether its going to be angled or where its placed on the square unless you want to. We will do that in the next lesson.

[Bingo_AboutMe_Ls3] 

The next lesson will be posted on Friday, June 20th.

Jen Wright Designs

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #5 
LESSON #4 (Final Lesson)

Title & Embellishment/Decorating

In this lesson, we will be finishing our layout by adding all the fun elements to the 

page that make it complete.

The best part is.. Anything goes!! 
[AboutMe-Layout1] 

1. Your title... this needs to be "ABOUT ME" but it can be with whatever font and alphas you'd like.  To make it more appealing, try using two different types of font by using an alpha set and just type the other or two different alphas.

2. Now we add the embellies.  Try to look at each square and think of something that would "match" or compliment what you put in that square. This helps draw the eye to want to read or look at that square.

Maybe try a frame around one or two of the squares.

Remember you have one large square (the whole page) that you can embellish as well near the edges/bottom.

Try borders, tags, veneers, etc.
Go wild and have fun! there isn't a wrong way to do it!

I cannot wait to see what you've come up with!!
Don't forget the deadline is June 30th at midnight EST.
I will get loyalty stamps out to everyone by July 1st.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.