MyMemories Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #1 

Most of us live near something historic - because the term can be applied to any period of history. The Olympic Fountain in Atlanta, for example, was built in 1995 - however, because of its association with the global games, it is definitely historic. For that matter, any structures associated with the recent London Games are already historic!

For those of you who don't have heritage photos to scrap or even family history - this is right up your alley. Go take photos of something near you - or not so near you; take a day trip! - and scrap it to share with all of us. I'd love to see the historic places near you!

For those of you who have done a little research on places associated with your own family history - this is also right up your alley! Scrap them and show us what you've learned!

This is a loyalty stamp challenge - at the end of the month you'll get a stamp for your cards.  Find information on the loyalty stamp program at: http://forums.mymemories.com/?forum=369713

atlanta2600.jpg 
manOwar3600.jpg 
cairo600.jpg 
aldenminingcamp3600.jpg 

Everything Erica

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #2 
Here's a couple of pages from me [smile]

We have a time-share in Paihia, New Zealand and I've lost count of how many times we've stayed there over the years. A must do for us is a visit to Russell which is a short ferry ride from Paihia. Russell is an old whaling colony in the 1800's that was renown for it's bad boys (and women). The photos here are part of an album collection I'm creating for our past holidays staying in the area. The Police Station (formerly a Custom House) and the Duke Of Marlborough inn, affectionately know as The Duke. I used my new kits Faded Memories.

FadedMemories1&2-4.jpg 

FadedMemories1&2-5.jpg

MyMemories Store - EEE Current Challenge ForumEverything Erica Blog - My Facebook

Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #3 
Beautiful, Erica!  That fig tree ought to yield enough figs to make preserves for the whole town each year!
poki04

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #4 
poki's project with Over the Fence Designs IT'S FAIR SEASON (template from Southern Serenity Designs)

The photo in this layout is new (taken 2012) but the story of this Galveston pier  is historical ...  This pier off Galveston Island was originally built to house an amusement park, and recreational establishment for US soldiers on shore leave during WWII. It operated as a tourist destination until Hurricane Carla destroyed the Pier in 1961.  The pier was rebuilt in the same location, as home to the fabulous Flagship Hotel, opening 1965.  The hotel, a restaurant and a ballroom (where Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and many other performers appeared) operated until Hurricane Ike destroyed it in 2008!  Down again, but not out ... the Pleasure Pier returned again, with grand opening on June 4, 2012.  It is great to see Galveston returning to it's historic roots!

pbsadbFAIRSEASON_ssdamRDPARADE.jpg

Galveston is one of our "weekend getaway" destinations of choice ... approximately 5 hours from home! We love to spend the last weekend of summer in Galveston (it's a little cooler by then, sometimes, and the crowds are a little thinner in September)

Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #5 
BEautiful layout and wonderful historical choice!  I need to get back to Galveston Island again.  (I'm in San Antonio). Thanks for posting!
susyq532

This place is growing on me
Reply with quote  #6 
I wanted to do this challenge but had no idea what historical place I could use...until the 4th of July event in a nearby town.  We came across their historical village which contained buildings from neighboring places as well.  One of the buildings is the church my husband's family used to attend before the new church was built.  So this is definitely a family historical place [smile]  I used the kit Captivating Combo by Elizabeth's Market Cross.
https://www.mymemories.com/store/display_product_page?id=EWMC-CP-1404-57402

July challenges-015.jpg 

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #7 
Wow, Rhonda, I'm so glad you found such a fabulous bit of family history!  I love that photo; you've scrapped a wonderful page for your books!
Tbear

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #8 
Historial-Museum.jpg 
Uniform pictured is not my dad's. Unfortunately, there was a bright light behind my dad's navel uniform and the photos had too many hot spots to scrap.

Kit used by Elizabeth Weaver: American Pie  See it here:
http://www.mymemories.com/store/display_product_page?id=EWMC-CP-1406-63473

font used: Grand Hotel

Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #9 
What are hot spots?  Too bad you couldn't ask them to turn off the bright light long enough to get a snap of your dad's. 

Perfect layout for this great bit of family history!  I'm still giggling at 'navel' uniform though, lol.
Tbear

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
What are hot spots?  Too bad you couldn't ask them to turn off the bright light long enough to get a snap of your dad's. 

Perfect layout for this great bit of family history!  I'm still giggling at 'navel' uniform though, lol.

Hot spots are areas on the photo that are completely white often referred to as blown highlights.

The bright light was the sun shining from the window. I remember the tour guide when he was in high school. He thought he was God's gift back then. Not being able to turn out the sun just proves what I thought about him then and now is true.

"Navel"? OMG that's a hoot and so typical of me. If my dad had seen that sentence he'd be asking, "What's wrong with that?"  

I got his big ears and no sense of direction too...[eek] [rofl]
Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #11 
LOL!  Too funny about the tour guide.

Sorry, been messing with electronics too much lately and didn't cotton on to hot spots being sun with no cooperating OFF switch!
Janet

This place is growing on me
Reply with quote  #12 
Here's one from me.

historicaljrr.jpg 

Kit used is Our Family Story Combo by Meryl Bartho.
Photos: I found the older ones in our city archive. The one from 2014 is my own.

Tbear

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Here's one from me.

historicaljrr.jpg 

Kit used is Our Family Story Combo by Meryl Bartho.
Photos: I found the older ones in our city archive. The one from 2014 is my own.

Janet, this page is just terrific! How cool to see the building from these  different photos.
Elizabeth

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #14 
I love 'then and now' photos!  Where is that hall, Janet? I don't see a city.  Great page!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.