MyMemories Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Jaedee

I'm new around here
Reply with quote  #1 
There is a fun and powerful new fan chart at familysearch.org that lets you see your cousins not just your direct lines.  It is called Puzzilla!  You can see where your holes are in your research in a instant.  Here is the link:  https://familysearch.org/campaign/finding-our-cousins   Familysearch.org is a free site but you have to registrar to enter.

Have fun.

JD

smikeel

This place is growing on me
Reply with quote  #2 
WOW JD - Thanks for posting this. I am going to have to go take a look at this site. And - by the way - I am so glad to see you here at MM. [wave] [biggrin]

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks JD....  Good to see you...  [smile]
snackpackgu

Reply with quote  #4 
I've used Familysearch to look up relatives that I was having a hard time with on ancestry.com, but I've never registered because once I read the fine print of the TOU, I was incredibly leery of allowing them to use my information in anyway that they choose.  

In exchange for your use of this site and/or our storage of any data you submit, you hereby grant us an unrestricted, fully paid-up, royalty-free, worldwide, and perpetual license to use any and all information, content, and other materials (collectively, "Contributed Data") that you submit or otherwise provide to this site (including, without limitation, genealogical data and discussions and data relating to deceased persons) for any and all purposes, in any and all manners, and in any and all forms of media that we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate for the furtherance of our mission to promote family history and genealogical research. As part of this license, you give us permission to copy, publicly display, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise distribute your Contributed Data throughout the world, by any means we deem appropriate (electronic or otherwise, including the Internet). You also understand and agree that as part of this license, we have the right to create derivative works from your Contributed Data by combining all or a portion of it with that of other contributors or by otherwise modifying your Contributed Data.

~~ Hugs from Debbie ~~  

Sugar

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #5 
Eeeek Nice to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackpackgu
I've used Familysearch to look up relatives that I was having a hard time with on ancestry.com, but I've never registered because once I read the fine print of the TOU, I was incredibly leery of allowing them to use my information in anyway that they choose.  

In exchange for your use of this site and/or our storage of any data you submit, you hereby grant us an unrestricted, fully paid-up, royalty-free, worldwide, and perpetual license to use any and all information, content, and other materials (collectively, "Contributed Data") that you submit or otherwise provide to this site (including, without limitation, genealogical data and discussions and data relating to deceased persons) for any and all purposes, in any and all manners, and in any and all forms of media that we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate for the furtherance of our mission to promote family history and genealogical research. As part of this license, you give us permission to copy, publicly display, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise distribute your Contributed Data throughout the world, by any means we deem appropriate (electronic or otherwise, including the Internet). You also understand and agree that as part of this license, we have the right to create derivative works from your Contributed Data by combining all or a portion of it with that of other contributors or by otherwise modifying your Contributed Data.

[wave]
Creative Team Member -various teams  
Jaedee

I'm new around here
Reply with quote  #6 

I can see how this statement would scare you away but FamilySeach.org vision is 

Our Vision

Learning about our ancestors helps us better understand who we are—creating a family bond, linking the present to the past, and building a bridge to the future.
Our vision is carried out by a dedicated team of employees and volunteers who work tirelessly to preserve and share the largest collection of genealogical and historical records in the world. We strive to create and link the best and most valuable research resources to help people discover who they are by exploring where they come from. For over 100 years, FamilySearch and its predecessors have been actively gathering, preserving, and sharing genealogical records worldwide.

I don't think that a organization with that vision would do anything with your data that should make you worry.  You might be surprised and find a long lost relative that has valuable information that you could not find before.
I hope that you will not let that statement stop you from checking it out!

snackpackgu

Reply with quote  #7 
Jaedee - I have a membership with ancestry.com, so I can research through them. There are times that I've used familysearch but I will never, ever register with them.  You can use the site without registering, you just can't save your trees if you don't register.  I'm not knocking any religion here, but the Mormons use your information for purposes that I for one am not comfortable with such as baptizing ancestors.

Here is an excerpt from their own website:

http://www.mormon.org/values/family-history

Genealogical or family history research is the essential forerunner of temple work for our deceased ancestors. We do it to obtain names and other genealogical information so these temple ordinances can be performed for our kindred dead. 

Just an example of what they were doing with the research:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2012-03-05/mormons-proxy-baptism-holocaust-jews/53372816/1

The Mormon practice known as "baptism for the dead" involves living people being baptized on behalf of their dead relatives. Mormons believe it is their moral obligation to do the temple rituals, while those in the hereafter can either accept or reject the ordinance.

In the early 1990s, Jewish representatives complained about the practice, arguing that it disrespected Jews who died in the Holocaust. Mormon leaders agreed to remove them from the list of candidates for baptism, unless they were related to living church members.

The task, however, proved difficult, and many of the names continued to pop up in the database. In 2010, the Mormons assured Jews that a new computer system would help solve the problem.

But it exploded again in recent weeks as reporters published accounts of proxy baptisms for several well-known figures, including the deceased parents of famed Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal, and slain Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl.

I don't trust them and personally, I don't want them combing through my ancestry trees looking for people to baptize into their faith through proxy.  I think this is a disgusting practice.

~~ Hugs from Debbie ~~  

Everything Erica

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #8 
I didn't know that, I registered with FS a couple of years ago and have found lots of information that I can't find on Ancestry, I don't save any info there though, my tree is with Ancestry and Family Tree Make. Hmm perhaps I should just do a search without logging in next time. I also use Find My Past I've found it especially usefull when the scanned docs at Ancestry are difficult ot read, FMP seem to have a better scanner [smile] anyway the doc are generally more readable.

MyMemories Store - EEE Current Challenge ForumEverything Erica Blog - My Facebook

snackpackgu

Reply with quote  #9 
I use Family Tree Maker also.  It's synced with my account at ancestry.com.  I never tried Find My Past, but I'll look into it.  

~~ Hugs from Debbie ~~  

Jaedee

I'm new around here
Reply with quote  #10 
This is really not the place for a religious discussion but I do want to say that what you consider disgusting we consider a loving act of kindness and if you do not believe that it changes anything you should not be concerned.  My religion teaches us to be kind and loving to all people.

I hope that we can end this discussion on that note!

JD  
Meryl

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #11 
I absolutely agree with JaeDee, this is not the place for any religious discussion and certainly not using words like "disgusting" when speaking of anothers faith. Everyone is entitled to their own views, including not using a website - if you don't like it don't use it.

I am a practicing Roman Catholic and use FamilySearch a great deal and am forever grateful for all the work others have put into tracing and tracking families and for making it all available free to all faiths. Thank you JaeDee for the link to the new feature - I will be taking a look.
Janet

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryl
I absolutely agree with JaeDee, this is not the place for any religious discussion and certainly not using words like "disgusting" when speaking of anothers faith. Everyone is entitled to their own views, including not using a website - if you don't like it don't use it.

I am a practicing Roman Catholic and use FamilySearch a great deal and am forever grateful for all the work others have put into tracing and tracking families and for making it all available free to all faiths. Thank you JaeDee for the link to the new feature - I will be taking a look.

Amen!! 
Noremacc

I'm new around here
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaedee
This is really not the place for a religious discussion but I do want to say that what you consider disgusting we consider a loving act of kindness and if you do not believe that it changes anything you should not be concerned.  My religion teaches us to be kind and loving to all people.

I hope that we can end this discussion on that note!

JD  

Beautifully said, you handled this perfectly!!

We do not need to all agree and believe in the same things, but everyone deserves to be treated with respect. 
Jaedee

I'm new around here
Reply with quote  #14 
Thank you, Meryl, Noremacc and Janet!
paperlady

I really enjoy it here
Reply with quote  #15 
[cathugs_zpsf48a7dc0]   [hug-1_zps7d26e94c] 
ICTMIA with you, Meryl, Noremacc and Janet!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.