MyMemories Forum

Author   Comment  
BarbN

This place is growing on me
Reply with quote  #1 
Thanks for reading.  The problem is I can make them transparent just fine in Paint Shop Pro 7 or 8 but the resolution will not hold to the 300 dpi that I choose, and is also the default resolution per my General Preferences tab.  The images come in at the 300 from being saved in MM6; I choose 300dpi in the resize and then use the PNG optimizer and save.  When I open the image back up in psp, it is saved at 28cm.  I can then resize again and when I delete the item after resizing, then it will finally stay at 300 dpi.  What am I doing wrong or is this just the nature of the beast.  I can find no other settings to adjust.  It just seems wrong that it will not save in the resolution I not only choose for the image but is set as the default.  Both PSP7 and 8 behave this way. tia  barb
megscottstudio

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #2 
Hello. I saw your question here and did some digging for you and from what I have found cm is for print size - so this would be something similar to 12x12 not the DPI. 

The definition of a printed image will be given in DPI (dots per inch) or PPI (pixel per inch). This point number means that a printer can print so many points per inch (=2.54cm). The higher the value, the finer the print. A decent print definition is 300dpi, which meets most requirements.

This might help as well... http://www.fmedda.com/en/article/dpi_ppi

Also this might help - http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?43514-changing-cm-to-inches

Hope these help, if not I can do more research for you. I haven't played around in PSP for years, so I am sorry I couldn't help more. 

MM Store|Newsletter|Pinterest|Blog|Instagram|Facebook|Facebook Group 

Get $10 off on MyMemories Suite or 10% off on all printed photobooks by using this code:

STMMMS97012 

BarbN

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks for your 'digging' Meg but I know about dpi etc.  the question was why do I have to save twice in PSP to get it to stay at 300 dpi?  this is annoying but workable as I do not want or can afford to go the PS route.  I'll just keep double saving as this works.  if we could export at 300dpi from MMS then it not be necessary but that option is only in the self print.
jbylam

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question properly but:
If you open a new document in your psp program (I am assuming you have your new document set at 300 dpi) then open your png from mms and drag it into the new document it should be set at 300 dpi. Just check image size and see if it is.
BarbN

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you, Shirley.  Yes, it does say 300 dpi, until I close it. once I reopen the png, it is 28 cm.  even running it through the png optimizer will not hold the dpi.  once it is closed, it reopens at a different dpi.  saving it a second time will hold it.  I haven't a clue why it needs to be saved twice to hold it at 300dpi but it does.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

This is only with a transparent PNG.  since they must be run through the optimizer to preserve the transparency, there is no other way.
megscottstudio

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #6 
It is holding the dpi.. 28 cm is 300 dpi was what all those links I shared was saying. Which tab under your settings did you change? There might be more than one place to change it. Have you tried calling their customer service?

From what I have been reading, this is a pretty common issue.

Get $10 off on MyMemories Suite or 10% off on all printed photobooks by using this code:

STMMMS97012 

BarbN

Reply with quote  #7 
not pestered tech about it since others have and they say it is the way MMS saves for the web. contacting Corel about PSP is a nightmare since I am using #7 and #8 and they are way beyond that.  I prefer to use MMS to build things.  if you self print, it is an automatic save at 300dpi. with MMS.    28cm is not 300dpi-it is 72dpi which is their standard save.  once I save it twice at 300, then it will show up as 118cm which is 299.72 (in effect 300).  The only place to change save in PSP is under the General Preferences and I have done that.  It really is a PSP issue and not so much MMS.  the one thing MMS could do is to allow a dpi change when you export.  thanks for looking into this for me.
megscottstudio

MM Designer
Reply with quote  #8 
I haven't used PSP since 7 but that was in 2005, I didn't have to worry about this setting yet. And yes, 28cm is not 300dpi but from what I was reading it was saying it was but it was basing it off a paper size so I got it wrong. The challenge with exporting something lower than 300dpi, would be that you could change it back to a higher dpi and maintain the clarity. 

I am sorry this is so frustrating and yes it is a JASC problem and has been their problem for sometime since this is all over the forums with no real solution. 

STMMMS97012 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.